Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I regained consciousness to find my ears bombarded with the sounds of gunfire. From the artillery that I saw around me, it looked as if the year was 1914. I was at the Battle of Ypres. Slowly, I started to rise out from the trench that I had landed in, trying to rid myself of the layers of mud that cloaked me. I started to walk to try and get my bearing straight. Suddenly, I heard the blaring noise of a 18-pounder field gun being used beside me. Soon after, the Germans returned fire, I quickly dived into the nearest trench. "Lo," said a quiet voice with a distinct Cockney accent, "wha' bring you 'ere?" The man then quietly laughed to himself, "O course, it be the war, well me name's Thomas. What be yours?" I told him my name and then asked what the date was. Thomas chuckled again, and replied that no one knew what the day was, only that they didn't want to spend another day in the horrific trenches. My mind was reeling, why was I sent back to the first world war? What purpose could I possibly serve? My wondering swere interrupted abruptly when I could smell the gas, the horrfic chlorine gas. Me being from the future, knew what it was and how to deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment